Hello everyone,
Well, the 12 days cruise flew by so quickly…which I thought would happen, since we just got done with a 21 day cruise…whoosh…which was too long.
Here's what happened:
Wednesday, March 23rd….we didn't arrive in Haiphong until late in the evening and couldn't get off the ship because there was nothing to do so it was pretty much a sea day…and a bad one at that. I was SO cold I couldn't believe it. I thought that we were suppose to be in warmer areas now…whats going on? One good thing that happened was I got to see the first lecture of Mr. Dan Rather (previously from CBS News). It was just strange, since I've seen him on TV for so many years, to see him in person was just strange but cool. He is a lot taller than I thought…haha.
Thursday, March 24th we had a good day in Haiphong, Vietnam. It was strange to be there and experience the life in Vietnam…very run down, dirty and congested. When we got off the shuttle bus, the entire gang headed off to find something to eat and/or find a cash machine to be able to buy things. I'll tell you something, figuring out the currency difference during this cruise is for the birds…its very very confusing. We walked around for quite some time before we found somewhere (we thought) was good to eat…KFC. I'm telling you…there wasn't anything else there…haha. I had some great mashed potatoes and roll though…it was really good…the chicken looked a little questionable but I had the popcorn chicken instead. Afterwards, we all decided to go over to the food market and just walk around…to get the feel of Haiphong. I'll tell you something, I have NEVER in my life seen so many motorbikes in one place. They were everywhere and you just had to RUN across the street to get to the other side….felt like we were playing the real life game of Frogger. Anyway, once we got to the market, they were staring at us like we had the plague or something. I guess they have never seen Americans or English before…they would look at us and comment to each other in their language…was a little weird. After we walked around for a while, Jodie and Greg went back to the ship and everyone else went their separate ways. Lesley and I walked around for a while, a little bit of time by the river…which was just sad to see….very interesting and eye opening but sad. When we were walking through one of the markets, Lesley stopped me and said, "Jason, I think that this woman is about to kill this chicken…." We both walked back there and she had put the chicken in SCOLDING hot water and killed it, then threw it on the floor. HOLY CRAP…I couldn't believe that we had just witnessed that. I turned to Lesley after it happened and said, "Makes you feel a lot better eating KFC, huh?"(HAHA). There was a lot of other gross stuff that we saw: cleaning a dead pig with the same washcloth that she wiped the table with, cutting up frogs…you know, the works…YUCK. We decided to leave that market and possibly go shopping for a little while (Lesley was on a shoe hunt this day). Again, crossing the street was a challenge…I made it across but Lesley wasn't so lucky and had to wait for a while. I taped her across the street and I was CRACKING up at her trying to cross the street….just bikes EVERYWHERE…haha…Run Lesley, RUN!!! Eventually we got pretty tired of walking around and decided to head back to the ship. It was a great but strange day in Haiphong.
Friday, March 25th we were in Ha Long Bay, Vietnam where there was a silver sea experience that I went on the tour of. Again, it was so cold…I couldn't feel my toes…what the hell…haha. Had a great time on one of their boats with some of the guests….some really friendly people on the ship right now. Sailing around about 1969 different islands in Ha Long Bay (which means Descending Dragon) I don't know about that…I saw NO descending dragons in the water…haha. It was really cool, with the guide pointing out that the different island / rock formations looked like different things like: A thumb, a sitting dog, a cat in the mountains, kissing chickens, king kong…was just really cool. While on the ship, you could buy these little paintings that at a fair distance glance…looked like someone painted but actually it was stitching which I thought was so cool…so I bought one. Had a great time getting to know some of the guests and talking about the difference experiences that I have gone through during my contract…was a good day. The rest of the day was spent on the ship as a half sea day…oh joy…haha.
Saturday, March 26th we were at sea again…but you know, it was a well deserved sea day…I needed the rest, apparently I was tired. Also, it was great because we just got some new movies on the TV and of course I've watched a few already like…Tangled and Burlesque. All in all, a restful sea day.
Sunday, March 27th and Monday, March 28th we were in Ho Chi Minh City or known to most as Saigon, Vietnam. The first day (the 27th) we headed out into the town…which was BY FAR a lot better than Haiphong. We headed down the street and right away you knew that it was defiantly going to be a day of souvenir shopping….holy crap, they were EVERYWHERE. First, we had to go find an ATM so we could get some money out…that was very important if we were going to shop today. We headed over to the big market that was there and before we could even get into the store we had a tragedy hit us…well not us…Jodie. A quite large bug had landed on her and she let out this HUGE scream (scared the crap out of me) and was scared to pieces and didn't want to be outside anymore for a while so we thought that we should have something to eat first…which was fine by me…I needed something to eat. I thought that everyone was going to go to this little shopping center that we had seen but no…we had Chinese food…oh no. Now, I'm really trying to be more open with my food intake and just enjoy the cuisine from around the world but I don't think that I am a chinese food kinda guy…I don't like the look of the food and I don't know how to use the stupid chopsticks. It took me five minutes to try and pick up a piece of chicken from my chicken fried rice…to where I threw the chopsticks on the table and said, "Ehhhh…I need a fork" (which they had…thank the lord). After lunch, we all headed back to the market…Jodie was better by this time and headed inside….HOLY CRAP…there were so many little vendors and people EVERYWHERE. We all got a few things but made sure that we stayed close together…it was NUTS. On our way outside, Jodie had bought one of the little fans that you see everywhere…to match her dresses. She had bought one from this older lady and started to walk away. This little 7 year old girl came up to her and said, "Why didn't you buy from me?" "Oh, I'm sorry sweetie, I already bought one from her…I didn't see you but thank you" Jodie said. "You have two hands, don't you…you can buy another one". Now, at first I thought, you little shit and wow…you have some guts but at the same time I thought and I said to Jodie, "She does have a point…haha." Needless to say…Jodie now has two fans and a picture with the little girl. As we were walking out past the front of the market, a man hit me in the shoulder REALLY REALLY hard. Just point blank punched me…like…really? I turned around and just stared at him and he stared back. I thought…why did this random guy hit me but don't start something with someone in this country. Maybe he didn't like me cause I was an American….but man, my shoulder hurt for a few minutes after. On our way back to the shuttle bus, we all got a few things that we saw that we wanted and just enjoyed our time in Saigon…it was a good day. The second day (the 28th) I was on IPM so I wasn't able to go into town again…which was a bummer but I enjoyed the time on the ship….enjoying my bed and watching TV…haha.
Tuesday, March 29th we were again where…..oh yeah…AT SEA!!! I think that this at sea stuff is getting a little old right now….our days seem to go so much slower when you have no where to go or nothing to do…EHHHHH.
Wednesday, March 30 and Thursday, March 31st we were in Bangkok, Thailand and what an INCREDIBLE two days there. Lesley and I had been invited by one of the guests on the ship to be his guests in the wonderful hotel "The Oriental Hotel Bangkok" for the overnight (our first time staying off the ship for an overnight in 7 months…..wow, it was lovely). I didn't know just how glitzy this hotel was though but we had a DRIVER pick us up at the dock for the 2 hour drive into Bangkok. Our driver, Sammy…not James as my Mom pointed out…haha…was standing there and we said, "Are you with the Oriental?" And he said, "Are you Mr. Slattery?" I laughed because I'm telling you….he really didn't believe that we were the ones he was picking up…."Yep, I sure am". We get into the back of this beautiful BMW 7 series and enjoyed our 5 star service. Not joking….warm towels, reading papers, water and everything in this car….I just didn't know what to do…I've never been to a place like this…I felt very hill-jackish…haha. The trip in was great…didn't feel like 2 hours but once we got to the hotel…they greeted us in a way that made us feel like royalty. The Thai way to greet someone, was really cool. You put your hands in a prayer position and put it in front of your mouth and bow your head. It was so cool. When we got into the hotel, they had handed us these little flowers and Lesley and I didn't know what they were and we were trying to put them on our wrists (come to find out that they go over your hands for when you bow…whoops). They knew exactly who we were when we got there…by name, which I thought was AWESOME. Our friend was there to greet us as well and he asked us to go up to the room and come back down so that we could go sight seeing. We headed up to this hotel room and WOW…just amazing. Truly felt the 5 star hotel effect with just how nice everything was laid out. The bathtub was HUGE (Lesley loved that) and the beds were so comfortable (which we both loved…haha). I was just walking around, looking at the cool little gadgets that they had all over the room and just looking at the beautiful view that we had from our room. After we freshened up, we headed down and were on our way (via speed boat) to the Grand Palace where the "Emerald Buddha" was. It was so beautiful…the entire area and just amazed at how it was built. I found out that this was the palace to King Rama V, where "The King and I" is set….which I thought was awesome. I'm defiantly doing my research for musicals now…haha. After a wonderful day spent out in the grand palace it was time to walk back through the market (where I hit my head pretty hard on the low ceilings….guess I am just taller than the normal person over here) and get back on our speed boat back to the hotel to get ready for our evening. Before we went up to our room, we had a great time in the lobby of the hotel having proper English Tea Time…I've never had that but enjoyed it though. Once we got to the room, Lesley had a great bath and I spent the time talking to people online which was nice; I didn't have to worry about the time wasted or anything…whoosh. We all met downstairs to go to dinner at a GREAT restaurant called "Bed". I didn't really know what to expect from this place but I was told that it was great. We arrive there and you feel like you are entering a spaceship…just a really odd shaped building. Once you walk in everything there is white…EVERYTHING and your table is placed on this HUGE bed that you have to take your shoes off to sit / lounge back on. It was really odd to sit on a bed and during our AMAZING (and do I mean amazing) dinner….it was even harder to cut my food…when I was laying my plate in my lap….haha. Also during the dinner, they had a contemporary dance performance for you in the middle of the room…it was a VERY COOL experience. Afterwards, we had a GREAT night out in Bangkok….some really great stories to come back and tell…HAHAHAHAHAHA….what an eye opening experience, to say the least…haha. The song, "One Night in Bangkok" has a whole new meaning now…haha. Our second day in Bangkok was welcomed by a WONDERFUL breakfast down with our friend on the river. I had been craving pancakes for about 2 months and boy….did I enjoy them this morning…what a great breakfast (which is a lot coming from me…I'm not a breakfast kinda guy…haha). Afterwards, Lesley and I were treated by a 90 minute full body massage. OOOOOOOOOOHHHHHHHHHHHHH WOW…..I think I have caught the massage bug. When we first got there…they took us to our separate rooms…where we were shown all the ins and outs of the room and told to take a shower. I got in the shower but I guess that I took a little too long because the lady walked in on me….WHOOPS. After, I dried off and told the woman that it was all clear…haha…it was time for the 90 minutes of pure bliss….HOLY CRAP. I think I fell asleep at one time….which I really can't believe that I could but wow….what an amazing experience…one which I want to do again. After the AMAZING morning, we were off to go to do some souvenir shopping in town. We found some great things to buy and then headed back to the hotel for a great lunch before the 2 hours back to the ship, with Sammy as the driver. WHAT AN INCREDIBLE EXPERIENCE, which we both are totally grateful to have such a great friend that we have made on the ship….what a much needed time away.
Friday, April 1st (April Fools) we were suppose to go to Ko Samui but we couldn't go because it was under 6 feet of water. Thats not the April Fools joke…it really was….essh. The captain decided to head to our last port, Singapore a day early so that we could have an overnight…we thought it was a good idea. This evening I had a WONDERFUL dinner with 4 people from California who are one of the sweetest people that I've met on the ship….had a great time talking with them and hopefully…will be able to stay in touch with them…so sweet.
Saturday, April 2nd, half the day was spent at sea and then we got to Singapore and docked at 7:00pm to have an overnight. The cast decided to get off and have an impromptu overnight in Singapore. We headed into town via taxi and asked to be dropped off in Rivertown. Again, we had Chinese food…whoosh…but I was hungry…so I enjoyed my dinner. Maybe I'm getting use to it now…oh lord….haha. Afterwards, we had all seen this slingshot ride on the other side of the river. I had told everyone that I had done it before but no one else had. I KNEW that we had to go ride it….what a crazy thing to say you've done in Singapore. We got over there and decided who was going to ride with who. Jodie, Emily and Lesley were going to ride together and the three boys…Cody, Greg and myself were going to go together. First up were the girls and wow, was it hilarious watching them on the TV (which we bought the DVD of the girls and boys…haha) and hearing them scream. They all got off and just loved it. Greg was a little nervous about going on it because he doesn't do thrill rides very well (I can understand) but we got him on away. It was SO much fun and I had a blast…just really made me miss Cedar Point / Kings Island and all the thrill rides…defiantly going there when I get home…haha. We all had so much fun laughing at each other and talking about the experience. Afterwards, we all headed to get some ice cream and then realized that it was almost 3 in the morning…it was time to head back to the ship…which to find out was going to be interesting because none of the cabs were stopping. Emily worked her girl charm and we all got back to the ship safely to finally end this segment of the cruise the next day on Sunday, April 3rd where we embarked 340 guests onto the ship to continue on to Dubai.
Our next cruises itinerary is: Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia on April 4th / Penang, Malaysia on April 5th / Phuket, Thailand on April 6th / At sea on April 7th and 8th / Colombo, Sri Lanka on April 9th / Cochin, India on April 10th and 11th / At Sea on April 12th / Mumbai, India on April 13th and 14th / At Sea on April 15th and 16th / Khasab, Oman on April 17th and ending our cruise in Dubai, UAE on April 18th.
I hope that everyone is enjoying the beginning of April. I can't believe that I get to see my Mom and Nene in a little more than a month….its been 9 months since I saw them last…I CAN'T WAIT!!!
Until Next Time,
Jason
No comments:
Post a Comment